Friday, 24 January 2020

Jungle Boogie! - Building a Malaysian jungle.

Ok, I was going to make some witty reference to the Jungle Boogie lyrics, but thanks 'Kool and the Gang', it seems to be 'Get down' and 'Jungle Boogie' in various juxtapositions, interspersed with occasional noises.

I've been working away for a while on getting my terrain sorted for Jungle settings, primarily Malaya, but I suspect if I am not careful, at some point in the future, it could well be standing in for Vietnam (those Empress and Gringo Vietnam miniatures are very tempting), and the Pacific Islands, (if I ever add to my single squad of US Marines).

Lots of things have been put together, cheap purchases of aquarium matting and plants, plastic bamboo plants and palm trees, and a bunch of 3mm MDF. I've been watching the TooFatLardies build, and the scenery done by The Tactical Painter. 

For information, I used the following products: Palm Trees:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332899683501 


Bamboo:   
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303332487410

The aquarium matting:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263373954826

I also bought other bits to add, that haven't been added yet:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143457222199

etc.


So the last couple of days I finally started putting it all together. First step was to get a bunch of 3mm MDF sheets (cheap eBay purchase), and roughly draw out a bunch of random shapes, then get to work with an electric jigsaw. This was rough and ready.

There doesn't need to be any great accuracy, as I had to sand down the edges anyway, and that gave me a chance to deal with any dodgy cutting marks. I can't emphasise this strongly enough.. do this outside, wear old clothes and a facemask, the MDF dust is dangerous and incredibly fine and messy.

So the bases are cut and chamfered..  you've cleaned up several kilos of zombie sawdust...

The next step is to drill out the holes for pegs on which to stick the aquarium matting. I have two drills set up, one for the pegs, and one for holes for the palm trees. It's much easier than having to swap back and forward, or mucking about enlarging holes.


Some of the bases with the pegs inserted, and turned upside down to dry.


Quick and dirty - I have a pack of bamboo skewers, dip the end into white glue, twist into holes, then snip off with heavy duty wire cutters. By using the cutters with the cutting edge facing upwards, and the jaws flat against the surface I was able to get the pegs to a more or less consistent height.


One of my bamboo bases, showing what the mat foliage looks like pressed down onto the pegs.  

Stuff..   for adding to bases

Trimmed rocks form the aquarium plants

Aquarium mat, each one about 90+ individual tufts

All your bases..  S for secondary jungle


After an exciting night with gravel, a hot glue gun, paint and sand
Add trees


Added aquarium mat plants to the bamboo stubs.
I'm relatively pleased with progress, I have ideas about adding tree roots, (string dipped in paint), creeper (string dipped in green paint) - plus there's the 'Herb d' Provence' to add for the leaf litter.


The madness continues..  no creepers, but a good session with the airbrush, several pots of Tamiya paint, and a bucket load of white glue and Herb d' Provence. Tomorrow, it will be sealed with a spray mix of watered down white glue, and final highlighting done. Phew. It's been a big build.

No comments:

Post a comment