Pages

Wednesday 6 May 2020

Something Personal

I've always made sure this is very much a wargames blog, and not a personal blog, so you never get to hear what I've had for tea, or how my employment interfered with wargaming, but this matters.

Thirteen years ago, she and I drove the 400 miles to collect a couple of tiny Labrador puppies. Those years have been where they became so much a part of us, that we never even thought about it. They were put in boxes and shipped halfway round the world when I needed to go back to the UK to see ailing parents. They've chased rabbits on multiple continents, and walked hills thousands of miles apart.

But big dogs, with big hearts, don't last for ever. So after a long time of declining health, perhaps no longer able to sort out young ridgebacks, snatch birds out of the sky, or live in fearsome reign over the cats of the neighbourhood; when a Labrador no longer eats, and can no longer stand up without help, today we took him to the practice, and lay beside him and held him as he breathed his last.

So today I said goodbye to my best friend. When the tears stop, I may paint again.



12 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry to hear that, I know feeling all too well. And I hope you don't think me crass, but my experience has been that what makes dogs better than humans is they can be replaced. Not moved out of your heart, but somehow manage to fill the void.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack. You're quite right, but we still have his sister from the same litter, and she's much too old to be bothered with puppies hanging off her ears, (I think!) - all the best. And you are absolutely not crass.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Doug, I was worried it could be taken the wrong way. I think it's good you've got the sister, and who knows, maybe a pup would keep her spry ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    3. I think we're coming round to that way of thinking... now just waiting to see what puppies are recommended to us. We're still young enough to manage one more set of big dogs before we have to get smaller ones.

      Delete
  2. Sorry for your loss. Dogs are important to us too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been there as well, its really tough when they go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. And everywhere I look I'm reminded he isn't here. Only time will fix that.

      Delete
  4. Damn - sorry for your loss... I had my old boy the better part of 17 years, and although he's been gone over 10 years now I still miss him, and can't bring myself to throw away his lead..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. And wow - 17 years is a really good stretch for a dog. I get what you mean when you say that even now you still can't throw away the lead. Time will heal the rawness, but I miss him terribly. There's a very large Gus-shaped hole in my life.

      Delete
  5. hi Doug, only just read this and of course am terribly sorry for your loss. I've lost 2 dogs myself and it never gets easier but the joy they bring outweighs the loss of their parting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. It's been very tough, but I tell myself that he no longer suffers. As you say, the joy has been wonderful, and I have 13 years of entirely happy memories. Putting together a slideshow of the hundreds of pictures of him was a huge help.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you've found a way to help deal with it as it's never easy,

      Delete