Pages

Tuesday 20 August 2019

28mm Early War Germans complete

For some reason, these just seemed to take forever. I don't know, it was possibly that I had a first rush of enthusiasm when I finished my Early War French, and then the saga with BTD just left me fed up.

But they are finally finished and I am reasonably happy. Let me know what you think?

AT Gun 1.
In Chain of Command, most crewed support weapons have a crew of 4 or 5, sometimes with a junior leader.

AT Gun 2
So this gun only has one crew on his base, there are other figures I have listed as 'handlers', mostly made up from the Warlord plastics, that can be added to make up full crews. The square thing on the base is a dice frame from Warbases that will hold a 7mm dice to show casualties.
50mm Mortar
 These guys are normally in platoon headquarters with the platoon commander and platoon sergeant.

AT Rifle, sadly - not a support option in the Blitzkrieg book
This is a Warlord Games pack, picked up on a whim before I checked and discovered that the AT rifle isn't generally available to German units in 1940. OK, should see some use when I game Barbarossa, that'll really scare those KV tanks! 

The original command figures, 
I think the guy in the greatcoat is going to be retired, he looks way too senior for the scale of a CoC game, but I love the Warlord Games running 'officer' with the MP38. (Technically, the officer should be pistol equipped, but hey..  artistic licence and I will just count him as a pistol.)

More command and helpers.
The lads in the officers hats can stand in as Junior Leaders for the support weapons as required, the more disheveled chap on the left is the platoon sergeant, and the ones in front are the extra crew figures to make up full weapons crews.

Ammunition handlers
I sized this base so it can sit behind the AT guns, the Le IG and even the static MG 34 to make the crew numbers up. I figure that box could hold almost any kind of ammo.

Le IG 18 75mm
Another box, and I do like that kneeling figure. Adding the base above on the back of this one gives me the full crew while maintaining flexibility.

Squad 1
 Corporal, lance corporal, 5 riflemen and a light machine gun team of three men.

Squad 2

As above - you can see some of the great variety you can get with BTD.

Squad 3
As above, so below!

Squad 4
The Early War German platoons were organised into 4 squads, not the later three squad version. It also gives me the choice of another squad as a support option when playing post 1940 games.

Static MMG 34
Finally - the MG34 in its static role as a medium machine gun. To make up the crew I will need to use some of the handlers.

So far the painted German vehicles include a PzIV, a PzII a PzJager I, a Kubelwagen and an Sdkfz 222 armoured car. So the platoon is pretty well provided for in support options.

Now to decide whether to tackle GIs or Soviets next...

4 comments:

  1. Very well done! Really like the idea of the additional crew figures getting their own individual base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Moiterei, thanks for that, Having seen your work, that's high praise. The single figures are partly an economy measure, because I am very unlikely to use all the support options simultaneously, so I can use the same figures as 'handlers' for different support options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Doug
    I too have a senior senior officer - I put him on a square base and he is my FM marker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TT, that's a good idea to use him as a FM marker, although he could also stand in if I ever need a ranking officer. I don't use a FM tracker other than two of the excellent ones from Warbases https://warbases.co.uk/product/chain-of-command-dashboard/ one in a fetching German Grey, the other in Olive Drab. They are very compact and easy to use.

      Delete