Pages

Wednesday 19 December 2018

Chain of Command, NWE

A beautiful sunny day after storms, and drove up the road towards the snow covered hills in beautiful sunshine.

We tried out a Chain of Command in the Desert game last month, and it worked well.. 

As we had fun last time, I had committed to playing a NWE game using my Brits and Late War Heer. All the figures got painted, and we had a lot of fun, but as you can see below, the buildings left a lot to be desired.


So I got out the trusty cardboard and some paint..


Lots more to do on this one, but the roof was the big item. The slates are too big, but it won't be too noticeable once they are all painted, I just didn't have the heart to make them much smaller.

The ruin I got to a reasonable state. The paint job needs tidying, and I want to do some posters on the end wall and the front. I have decided not to go to town on the interior as it will be too hard to get figures in there. My sniper will at least have somewhere cool to hang out.

The chateau is still awaiting roofing, plus I need to use some stone paper on the lower floor. The roof itself is a complex shape, and I am actually wondering f I can get away with laying PVA soaked paper over it and claiming it's a lead roof rather than tiling the thing.

Finally, I am wondering about doing some small cobbled areas to put the building in. Plus a war memorial and a fountain. Come 1940 or 1944, not even the smallest French hamlet would be without its war memorial to 14-18. 

My other struggle is that I now have the figures for French army 1940, plus the later Normandy conflict. Sticking Vichy posters up on the buildings makes it unusable for 1940, and sticking patriotic French posters up, makes it unsuitable for 1944.

Other things I need to do once the buildings are completed, finish off some more walling, and some other tabletop clutter, get some better shock markers (the Bolt Action Pin markers are actually pretty good..)  do some smoke and barrage markers, minefields, and entrenchments. All straightforward and mainly home built.

Then it's paint up the 1940 French, add some supports, and think about purchasing 1940 Germans.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment