Pages

Monday 2 October 2017

My Rolls Royce

I have no idea why I would buy a model Rolls Royce Armoured Car. I suppose my best excuse would be some lame and circumlocutory explanation involving the Dad Army figures I picked up from Warlord Games. (It is really a WW1 model, but in the alternate war history, after Jones' van was disabled, Walker managed to source it for them, for a price... ).

Anyway, I have seen the assembled Rolls Royce model on the Warbases stand, and mighty nice it looked. It was also very reasonably priced at a tenner. And I needed some bases anyway, so it duly arrived.

Spot the dirty finger mark that needs cleaning
 Let me just say I am thankful that Warbases provides a PDF instruction leaflet on their site - although this still left me assembling a bit by trial and error. Essentially, I picked out the known bits, and what was left...  

The model itself was straightforward, once I had figured out which bits went where, and the card components seem fairly rugged. After undercoating and painting, then some decent varnish, it should be pretty sturdy.

There are one or two things to watch out for. The turret is a resin cast, and on mine there were a couple of bubbles underneath, so I had to replace the muzzle with a piece of wire (not shown on these pictures). Secondly, the mudguards and the curved rear body need the card rolled to make sure you get a good curve, and finally, the folds in the card need to be handled carefully, on mine the armoured vision panel that hinges down from the roof, and the boxes on the rear fenders were tricky to get a clean fold on.

The headlamps don;t appear in the instructions as far as I can see. 

Overall though, I think it builds into a handsome model, and I am going to spend a little time trying to find some suitable colour scheme.

1 comment:

  1. Will be keen to see how it looks once painted.

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete