Why is this here..


A Lead Odyssey is about my hobby, collecting, painting and playing with toy soldiers. It will cover the various rulesets I use, the figures I am painting (very slowly), and some games. Thanks to Harry Pearson for the Achtung Schweinehund reference. The uniform jacket in the picture was adapted from a safari suit, the weapon is a wooden sub-machine gun made by me and my dad. Cool eh?

I play a range of scales, rules and periods.. scales are anything from 6mm, through 15mm to 28mm for little men, but I also use 1/1200 for Napoleonic Naval, and 1/3000 for Pre-Dreadnought period Naval.

My tastes are eclectic, but I have avoided most 'Fantasy' Games for a few years, as I couldn't get into the usual suspects for Fantasy Battles, and didn't have a decent group to play role-playing style games.

Wednesday, 24 February 2016

WSS Finished

So - with a day to spare...  I finished the WSS army.  I elected not to paint up the extra two bases of mounted, instead these may well be donated to Nick.

So the basing steps are very simple..

Neat PVA applied over the base, then dipped in fine sand with a few 'pebbles' mixed in. A flat brush is handy to get in between the ranks.

Bases are stained with a homebrewed black/brown acrylic wash using a size 8 brush and letting capillary action do most fo the work. It ends up pleasingly irregular in colour.

Apply neat PVA in random patterns, notice that a lot is focused on the edges of the figure bases, so these will be concealed by the static grass.

Douse liberally in short static grass (I get mine from Baccus), allow to stand for 30 minutes then invert and tap the bases to remove excess.

After static grass added.

'Leadbear's' Tufts applied - this is the mounted - finished - unless I choose to go back and work on flesh shading.

Infantry and Artillery.

Close-up Royal Scots Greys. (Hay's Regiment of Dragoons).
And voila...  once the PVA has set overnight, these will get another coat of acrylic spray lacquer as a final fixative, and done!

8 comments:

  1. Great job! Lovely looking figures and very effective basing, too. May their dice be as good as their appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff, your painting of 6mm is so much neater than mine.

    Your basing method is similar to mine although I use a touch of polyfilla here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Jim, I find the polyfilla does make it look better, but laziness and careful placement of static grass and tufts mitigates it to the extent I don't think it's worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doug, a couple of questions about basing.

    The static grass is shorter than that uses for 15mm or 25mm?

    The tufts are the same size as, for example, those made by Faller?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vince, the static grass is the Baccus summer blend, 6mm static grass. Don't know about comparisons with other brands, and the tufts are from Barry (Leadbear) - who produces great stuff, and is a top bloke to deal with. The tufts actually stick without gluing and stay stuck.. unlike some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They really look good mate - I am trying hard to resist the urge to dig out the GNW lead from the pile at mum's next week. Still, I figure I have few days to recover from the bright and shiny syndrome!

    Good looking army though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the polyfilla does make it look better, but laziness and careful placement of static grass and tufts mitigates it to the extent I don't think it's worth the effort.

    ** สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง**
    ** goldenslot mobile**

    ReplyDelete