So tonight I decided it was time to see whether I could make it work. The last airbrushed I used was purchased from Humbrol in about 1978.. and this thing was decidedly hi-tech by comparison. But if you are going to do late war German camo schemes, it's virtually compulsory.
Much faffing about ensued - it came with its own mini compressor.. on a Japanese plug of course, but by plugging together three adapters, (Japanese plug to universal socket to Europe plug to Australian Europe adapter) and the consequent risk of conflagration, it worked. Then I had too many moving parts - (back stop for the spray needle - a switch that worked up down and back, plus a needle adjustment collar..). My first experiments were an unmitigated disaster. Paint too thick, paint too thin... and then.. the Goldilocks moment... just right. Mental note to self - figure out some standard paint - water ratios and use a syringe. I'm pretty pleased.
|Brown - Dragon Jagdpanther|
|Compare with Brush-Painted Stug & ESCI Jagdpanzer IV|
|Italeri Puma awaiting the paint-shop|
This one will probably get a primer undercoat and a brushed basecoat - then the airbrush. I am still not confident of getting the right consistency to do a proper basecoat. Practice make perfect so they say.
Oh, and if anyone has any recommendations for paint ranges that cover WW2 Military suitable for the airbrush without thinning, I am all ears.