Why is this here..


A Lead Odyssey is about my hobby, collecting, painting and playing with toy soldiers. It will cover the various rulesets I use, the figures I am painting (very slowly), and some games. Thanks to Harry Pearson for the Achtung Schweinehund reference. The uniform jacket in the picture was adapted from a safari suit, the weapon is a wooden sub-machine gun made by me and my dad. Cool eh?

I play a range of scales, rules and periods.. scales are anything from 6mm, through 15mm to 28mm for little men, but I also use 1/1200 for Napoleonic Naval, and 1/3000 for Pre-Dreadnought period Naval.

My tastes are eclectic, but I have avoided most 'Fantasy' Games for a few years, as I couldn't get into the usual suspects for Fantasy Battles, and didn't have a decent group to play role-playing style games.

Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Late War German 1/285

So after Thomo and I started comparing sizes, I thought I would haul out the lead and see what was there. I have already painted and based most of my GHQ/CinC Deutsches Afrika Korps, and that's a few thousand points. I also have an Early War German force all in German Grey, which a few substitutions can do either the 39-40 Blitzkrieg, or 1941 Barbarossa.

I started by looking at all the stuff suitable for Italy onwards. I figured I could get away with basing and painting them all sort of similar, and then swapping in and out things like Fallschirmjager and so on, to cover Italy, Normandy and the Eastern Front.

I picked up most or nearly all of this stuff in job lots off eBay or TMP, so there were a lot of oddities, to which I have added bits and pieces when GHQ has had their sales. I also swapped a lot of bits and pieces, because originally I had no intention of building a Late War force, (I didn't want wall-to-wall Waffen SS and Tiger II).

Anyway, I asked Dean at Olympian Games to cut me some 30mm x 30mm bases. Glued the models down using PVA glue, (I like the way that the model sits 'in' the glue, making it look like it has some weight and partially covering tracks and wheels).

For this lot I thought I would try a slightly different painting technique. So I spray undercoated very thoroughly with a cheap flat black spray can. Once this dried, I then oversprayed with a Testors 'Modern Desert Sand' - which is very light in colour. The results have more depth than a single solid undercoat.


Next steps are to apply a tan and a green ambush pattern using very thinned paint. Once this is done, tracks and any tools/details and so on. I will then wash with a very thinned dark brown ink. This will darken up the very pale yellow base to a much more realistic shade. I have in the past used GW Devlan Mud, but this is now hard to get hold of.

1 comment:

  1. "In mud we trust"!

    Mind you, the new brown ink/glaze/whatever-it's-called-this-week is quite nice to work with.

    Then there are the Vallejo washes which also seem to work well.

    ReplyDelete