Pages

Wednesday 24 May 2017

Cold War Gone Hot 1985

Number 1 nephew is all excited about Team Yankee, I think because of all the cool kit. Plus he's a bit of a tank nut (I foresee a trip to Bovington sometime in my future). Anyway, he's been buying himself a fair bit of East German kit to do Team Yankee in 15mm.

Regular readers of this blog (are there such creatures?) will know I did a whole lot of 20mm Cold War stuff, which is sadly, still in Australia. But if there's an excuse.. ok, 15mm it is.

Of course, being me, I couldn't just settle for something easy as an opponent, so I decided, rather than Brits, or West Germans, or US troops, I would do Danes..   they have cool kit, like Unimogs, Walker Bulldogs and even better.. that all time classic.. Centurion tanks! So an order has gone in to QRF.

So I have the softcover Team Yankee rulebook on order, some Zvezda M109 for artillery support, the QRF gear and an F16 all due to arrive in the post, but I visited HobbyCraft today, and there was the Revell 1/100 Harrier. Wrong version, a pre paint, dated 2010, but a Harrier none the less. Still one of my favourite aircraft.

It's quite a nice little snap together kit, I did use glue, and it went together in 20 minutes..


The observant will note a couple of minor differences, the nose cone got the bulges taken out, and the outrigger wheels were moved back out to the wing tip, Then it was paint out time...


An hour or so later, and this was the result. I have to go back and tidy up the paint job, especially the tail, add some further details, and  make a flightstand, but not bad for 1/100. If you squint your eyes, make some whooshing noises, it's pretty much "Good enough for Government work".

3 comments:

  1. Danes lovely. A soft spot for me and if you are using Walker Bulldogs you have an excuse to have an F-100 scooting overhead as well.

    Sadly my 6mm Dames are still under mum's house in Oz https://thomo.coldie.net/2010/03/16/cold-war-commander-danes/

    Damn. That was 7 years ago!

    Cheers, Thomo the Lost


    ReplyDelete
  2. By 1985, it probably should be a F16. And the later Danish Walker Bulldog was significantly adapted to the M41DK which looked totally different. In 15mm it's not easy to find all the required figs/vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you are meeting your obligation of spending 2% of the Melville GDP!

    ReplyDelete